Indian Medicine System and Homeopathy was established in March 1995 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. In November 2003, it was renamed as Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH) department. AYUSH Ministry was established on 9th November, 2014.
Objectives of AYUSH :
- To provide Medicare facilities to the people of the Country through Ayurvedic, Unani and Homoeopathy systems of medicine.
- To impart quality education at Graduation and Post Graduation level though the Medical Colleges of Ayurvedic, Unani, Homoeopathy, Naturopathy systems of medicine to produce qualified medical practitioners in these systems of medicines
- To manufacture quality Ayurvedic, Homoeopathy and Unani Medicines through the Government Pharmacies and make them available on free of cost to the patients coming for treatment to Hospitals and Dispensaries being run by the Department under these systems of medicine.
- To regulate the manufacture and sale of Ayurvedic, Unani and Homoeopathy drugs in accordance with law.
- To monitor the quality of Ayurvedic, Unani and Homoeopathy Drugs being manufactured or sold in the state through State Drug Testing Laboratory
- To maintain the State register of Medical Practitioners in Ayurveda, Unani, Homoeopathy and Yoga & Naturopathy
Following departments come under AYUSH Ministry:
1. Reasearch Councils
- CCRAS– Central Council for Research in Ayurveda Science
- CCRYN– Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy
- CCRUM– Central Council for Research in Unani Medicines
- CCRS– Central Council for Research in Siddha
- CCRH– Central Council for Research in Homeopathy
2. Statutory Council
- CCIM– Central Council for Indian Medicine
- CCH– Central Council for Homeopathy
- PLIM– Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicine
- HPL– Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory
4. National Institutions
- NIA– National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur
- NIN– National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune
- NIU– National Institute of Unani, Bengaluru
- NIS– National Institute of Siddha, Chennai
- NIH– National Institute of Homeopathy, Kolkata
- IPGT&RA– Institute for Postgraduate Teaching & Research in Ayurveda, Jamnagar
- RAV– Rashtriya Ayurved Vidyapeeth, New Delhi
- MDNIY– Morari Ji Desai National Institute of Yoga
By: Dr. Ranjeet Singh