Malaria is a serious life threatening disease caused by parasite called plasmodium. It is one of the global killer disease specially in poor, forested, hilly, remote regions with some little facilities. Every year about 2 million malaria cases are recorded as per the National Malaria Research Institute. Sometimes it spreads like epidemic and becomes fatal. It is known as Visham Jvara in Ayurvedic literature.
Malaria is transmitted by female Anopheles mosquito. Human malaria is caused by four different species of plasmodium-
- P. falciparum
- P. malariae
- P. ovale
- P. vivax
Protozoa of Plasmodium transmitted via the bites of infected mosquitoes. These paracites multiply in the liver and then infects Red Blood Cells.
Common symtoms of maleria? (generally symtoms of maleria occurs in episodes)
What are other symtoms of maleria?
- Muscle pain
- Back pain (Sometimes both)
- Dry cough
- Enlarged spleen
What is the most severe form of maleria?
Infection with the P. falciparum paracite is usually more serious and become life threatening.
Symtoms of Maleria caused by P. falciparum (this data has been collected from WHO)
- Fever with chills, headache.
- Muscular aching and weakness.
- Diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Other symtoms related to organ failure may supervene such as-
- Acute kidney faliure
- Pulmonary oedema
- Generalized convulsion
- Circulatory collapse followed by coma and death.
MP- test using blood film
How to manage Malaria?
Principle of treatment of fever in Ayurveda is fasting and swedana.
How to treat Malaria with Ayurvedic formulations?
- Take Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) also called as holy basil leaves with maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Vardhaman Pippli Rasayan
- Panchasara Yoga
- Vishmajwarantaka Vati
- Sudharshan Ghan Vati
- Cap-AYUSH-64 (CCRAS)
- Mahasudharshan Powder
Ayurveda suggested some herbs that may help the patient to recover from the symptoms of malaria:
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)- increase the blood platelets count and boost haemoglobin % in the blood of patient.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)- If patient takes the Haritaki powder, it will inhibit the growth of Malarial parasite.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)- Ginger contains gingerol and a special hydrocarbon which help in building our immunity.
- Bark of saptaparni (Alstonia scholaris)
- Bed Rest
- Fasting or take only light food
- Heavy Meal
How to control or eliminate spreading of vector (female Anopheles mosquito)??
- Use insect repellents.
- Avoiding stagnation of water in and around the residential area.
- Regular cleaning of household coolers.
- Use of mosquito nets.
- Spreading of insecticides in ditches, drainage areas and swamps.