Low back pain or backache (katishoola) is very common problem encountered by many people. The main cause for low back pain is a strain of the muscles or other soft structures, poor diet, bad postur. Low back pain can also be result of spinal disc problem, injury to ligaments around the spine, nerves emerging from spinal cord, or due to certain disease such as spinal cord cancer, herniated disc, sciatica, arthritis, kidney infections or spinal infection etc.
Low back pain is the biggest reason to call a doctor now-a-days, it is a job related disability. Back pain is more likely to occur in individual between 30-50 years of age.
According to Ayurveda concepts, Katishoola (low back pain) is caused due to vitiated vata-dosha.
Kati (lower back) is the location of vata-dosha, and thus aggravated vata manifests in the lower back causing pain and stiffness.
Low back pain can be classified as:
- Acute– if it lasted less than 6 weeks.
- Sub acute– if it lasted between 6-12 weeks.
- Chronic– if it lasted more than 12 weeks.
What are the possible causes of low back pain??
- Long time standing and long sitting.
- Over indulgence in Physical activities.
- Lifting heavy weights
- Sleeping late at night
- Riding vehicles
- Pain in the lower back
- Stiffness of lower back
- Restricted movement
Risk factors of low back pain??
- Psychological factors
- Sedentary work
- CT Scan
Generally, low back pain can’t be cured permanently. Many times patients have complaint of re-occurance of low back pain. Medicines can relieve their symptoms, but whenever they quick taking medicine, their problem starts again. To cure lower back pain, it requires complete measure of integrated treatment plan. In Ayurved we have a variety of option to cure low back pain, such as:
- Internal Ayurvedic Medicine
- Marma Therepy
- Yoga and pranayama
- Through the changing diet and lifestyle of patient
- Sadyovirechana with Eranda (Ricinus communis) Taila
- Kati basti with Dhanvantaram Taila, Murivenna Taila
- Nadi-sveda with Dashmula, Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Vaitarana basti- in obese patients
What are the choice of drugs??
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Pipplimoola (roots of Piper longum)
- Have 1 teaspoon of Castor oil with a glassful of milk at bedtime. Castor oil balances vata in our body.
- Prepare a decotion of boiling 1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds in 1 cup of water. Add a pinch each of rock salt and black pepper, take it lukewarm.
- Take 3 gm of Ashwagandha powder and 500 milligram of Pipper Longum powder with milk.
Some Ayurvedic formluations
- Mahavatavidhwansini Rasa with Guduchi Ghrita
- Rasnadi Guggulu
- Dhanvantaram Oil
- Trayodashonga Guggulu
- Cap- Neurotone
- Cap- Ruma Plus
- Tab- Rumasa Gold
- Tab- Flexi
(Don’t start self medication. Consult to your Ayurveda doctor first before taking these drugs).
Stimulation of marmas of back and lower extremities:
- Gulf marma
- Talhridaya marma
- Kshipra marma
- Janu marma
- Indra-basti marma
- Kukundar marma
- Kati-tarun marma
Don’t start self stimulation of these marma, it should be performed by Ayurveda surgeon or marma therapy specialist, otherwise it can cause some dangerous complication to patient.
Yoga and Pranayama?
- Bhramari rechaka
What to do?
- Avoid excessive physical exertion
- Take complete bed rest in case of acute back pain.
- Massage the area gently with warm sesame oil and cover with a cotton cloth. Avoid exposer to air or cold wind.
- Do only light exercises.
- Avoid heavy, cold, fried food, alcoholic beverages
- Avoid sitting for long time
- Take a small break after each hour of your work or jobAvoid constipation, cough , cold, gas, because they can worsen your problem.
Written by: Dr. Ranjeet Singh