Cervical Spondylosis is a kind of Arthritis that affects cervical vertebrae. In this condition there is difficulty in the neck movement along with pain, numbness and tingling sensation in upper extremity. In severe cases patient may feel Vertigo and discomfort sometimes. Cervical Spondylosis is very common problem in people. In Ayurveda science, Cervical Spondylosis is known by the name in Griva Sandhigatvata. There are some degenerative changes in the cervical vertebra. This, when coupled with any trauma or wrong posture leads to the manifestation of cervical spondylosis. More than 80% people are facing this problem above the age of 60 years.
What factors causes the Cervical Spondylosis??
- Aggravated vata dosha causes the degeneration of tissues and joints of neck.
- Chronic wear on the cervical spine
- Being overweight
- Lack of physical exercise
- Past history of neck injury
- Repeated bending and twisting of leg due to your kind of work or job
- Severe arthritis
Symtoms of Cervical Spondylosis?
Symptoms of Cervical spondylosis can range from mild to severe, Often develop slowly over time. But they may start or get worsen suddenly. Most common symptom is pain over the shoulder blade. The pain may be mild or it can be deep and so severe that patients are unable to move. This pain might increase after:
- Sneezing at night
- Coughing or laughing
- Bending the neck backward
- Weakness in certain muscles
Other common symptoms include:
- Stiffness in neck that get worse
- Numbness or tingling in the shoulders and hands.
- Cracking sounds in the joints during movement.
- Headache, specially in the back of head.
- There may be some symptoms like loss of balance and loss of control over the bladder or bowels.
Investigations to diagnose the condition??
- EMG(electro- myogram)-EMG is a Diagonostic procedure that evaluate the condition of muscles and Nerve cells, that your nerves are functioning normally when sending any signal to your muscle.
Possible Treatment measures??
- Sadyovirechan with Castor oil
- Greevabasti with Sahacharadi oil and Murivenna oil
- Pattra- pind sweda
Ayurvedic remedies and formulations???
- Take 2-3 teaspoon of Castor oil at bed time with a glass of milk to pacify Sandhigatavata.
- Make a powdered preparation of dried ginger root, celery seeds and cumin seeds in equal amount and add salt to taste and have one teaspoon with water at bedtime.
- Lakshadi guggulu
- Trayodashanga guggulu
- Dhanvantri Taila 101 with warm milk
- Marma Kashaya
Do not start self-medication. Consult your doctor first before taking these drugs.
Stimulation of these marmas can help to treat your problem-
- Kshipra marma
- Talhridaya marma
- Kurcha marma
- Manibandha marma
- Indravasti marma
- Koorpara marma
- Urvi and ani marma along with dhamni, matrika, krikatika, amsa, ansaphalaka of back should be treated with rubbing, pressure, oil massage, paste application and fomentation.
Don’t start self stimulation of these marma, it should be performed by Ayurveda surgeon or marma therepy specialist, otherwise it can cause some dangerous complication to patient.
Yoga therapy and pranayam??
- Natarajasana (reclining twist)
- Bitilasana (cow pose)
- Utthita Triconasana (extended triangle pose)
- Shavasana (Corpse pose)
Some Special Care
- Complete bedrest and use of thin pillow and hard bed in acute condition.
- Streching and strengthening exercise.
- Restoring flexibility
- Posture correction
- Cervicothoracic Stablization
What to do???
- Avoid excessive physical exertion.
- Take complete bed rest in case of acute neck pain.
- Massage the area gently with warm sesame oil and cover with a cotton cloth. Avoid exposer to air or cold wind.
- Do only light exercises.
- Avoid heavy, cold, fried food, alcoholic beverages
- Avoid sitting for long time
- Take a small break after each hour of your work or job. Avoid constipation, cough ,cold, gas, because they can worsen your problem.
By: Dr. Ranjeet Singh