Latin name– Osimum sanctum Linn.
English name– Holy basil
Hindi name- Tulsi
Tulsi (holy basil) is an annual delicate tropical plant which grow as weed, and also cultivated extensively in the country. Generally, it is grown in pots in every house of India, because it is worshiped by Hindus and is an important symbol of Hindus. Tulsi is to be planted in the house as well as courtyard because, besides its medicinal importance it also purifies atmosphere. Tusli has been used in Ayurveda and in other traditional medical treatments in India for thousands of years. In Ayurveda tulsi is considered to be an adaptogen, balancing different processes in our body and helpful for adapting to stress. Marked by its strong aroma and astringent taste, it is regarded in Ayurveda as a king of ‘elixer’ of life and believed to promote longivity.
Which part of tulsi can use?
- Seeds or even whole plant
Chemical constituents of tulsi??
- Oleanolic acid
- Ursolic acid
- osmarinic acid
- Analgesic activity
- Anticataract activity
- Anti-diarrheal activity
- Anti-cancer activity
Holy basil(tulsi) can be used to in bronchritis, malaria, diarrhea, dysentery, skin diseases, arthritis and eye disorder.
Traditional use of holy basil?
Extract are use in Ayurvedic remedies for common colds, stomach disorders, inflammation, heart disese, various forms of poisining and malaria.
Medical use of holy basil (tulsi)??
- The basil leaves boiled in milk give relief in the case of common cold,
- Basil abstract prove to be effective in reducing fever.
- Tulsi is very useful in treating respiratory problems.
- Addic auction prepared by mixing basil leaves with Ginger root, milk with honey provides relief in Bronchitis, asthamic cough and cold.
- The decoction prepared from Salt, cloves and basil leaves give instant relief to influenzes.
- Tulsi decrease the cholesterol levels in blood, then proves to be helpful for heart patients.
- To keep the tension away from themselves, any person can take and basil leaves for 2 days.
- Basil leaves are useful in ulcers and other infections in mouth.
- In relieving itching and other fungal infection in your skin, apply Basil extract to the affected area for some days.
Written by: Dr. Ranjeet Singh