Vitiligo is a progressive, idiopathic pigmentation disorder of the skin, characterised by hypopigmented patches. In Ayurveda this condition is compared with shivtra.It affectspeople of all skin types but it may beaffect more who have darker skin. It affects all ages but peak incidence during 10 to 30 years of age.
Patterns of of vitiligo?
In this condition the discoloration affects many parts of the body.
In this condition discoloured patches cover only one side or part of body. This type of Vitiligo tends to occur at a younger age and progress for 1 or 2 years then stop.
In this condition, discoloration patches occur on one or only a few area of your body.
4. Vitiligo Vulgaris
It is commonest type of vitiligo or leucoderma, in this condition the family history is frequently present.
Site of predilection?
- Lesions can occur in any part of the body
- Area subjected to repeated friction and trauma are frequently affected eg. Dorsal aspects of hands
- Mucosal vitiligo on lips and genitalia
- Segmental vitiligo most frequently seen in distribution of try-geminal nerve ( mandibular division).
What are possible causes of Vitiligo?
Vitiligo occur when melanin (skin pigment) producing cells stop producing melanin. Exact etiology of Vitiligo is not known and different patterns of vitiligo may have different pathogenesis.
- Family history (genetic)
- Auto immune hypothesis
- Biochemical hypothesis
- Neurogenic hypothesi
It has been hypothesized that a toxin which destroys melanocytes, it released it nerve ending.
Differential diagnosis of vitiligo?
- Naevas archomicus
- The skin lessions that are not occupying wide area.
- Patches do not join together.
- Has black hairs over the lession.
- Resent onset.
- Not due to burn by fire.
- The skin lessions that are situated in end part (lips, palm, sole and private partd)
- Patches join together
- Has red hairs over the lession
- Chronic in onset
- Due to burn by fire
How to treat Vitiligo?
- Apamarga kshar yog ( apamarg kshar, ashudhha manashila and cow urine). Studies showed that this help in restoring natural color of skin.
- Hridmargava rasa
- prawal bhasm
- Arogya vardhani vati
- Bakuchi powder ( drug of choice)
- Tolenorm oil
Don’t start self medication, consult your Ayurveda physician before taking these drugs.
Recommonded diet and lifestyle
- Avoid eggs, peanuts, milk, wheat, fish, chicken, pork and beef.
- Avoid dairy products, white flour, fried foods, other processed fats and sugar.
Written by: Dr. Ranjeet Singh