Diabetes is a disorder that impairs the body’s ability to metabolize carbohydrates and characterized by abnormally blood sugar (glucose) levels and the excretion of the excess glucose in the urine. Type2 diabetes (Madhumeh) has evolve as a major disease in the last decade, usually affecting those over the age of 40 year and having a slow onset and slow progress. Researchers believed that, India would have the dubious distinction of becoming the capital of three major diseases by 2030 viz. diabetes, tuberculosis and AIDS.
In Ayurveda, Diabetes mellitus is known as Madhumeha, Madhu=honey and meh=urine, that is urine that has sugar (glucose) in it. A total 20 types of diabetes has been mentioned in Ayurveda and prameha is one among eight Maharoga (disorders needing serious concern) and explained as most important among Anushangi roga (chronic disorder) manifested as poly-urea with turbidity in urine occurs due to vitiation of Kapha Dosha and Meda Dhatu.
What are the couses of Diabetes Mellitus?
- Lack of exercise and physical activities
- Luxury lifestyle
- More intake of carbohydrates
- Milk products, Bakery products
- Excess sleep
- Family history of diabetes
- Either of completely stress free life or having too much stress, reduces the digestive fire and the tissue fire, leading to vitiation (aggravation) of Kledaka Kapha. When these block Vata-dosha, it brings Ojas from the body into the urine causing madhumeh.
Sings and symptoms of diabetes/ Madhumeh?
- Frequent urination
- Excessive thirstness
- Excessive hunger (appetite)
- Delayed wound healing
- Numbness or having burning sensation in the extremities
- Calf muscles cramp
- Sudden loss of weight with raised blood sugar level (BSL)
General Diagnostic criteria of madhumeh?
- Increased frequency of urine
- Turbidity in urine
- Excessive thirst and hunger
- FBS greater than 125 mg/dl or PPBS greater than 200 mg/dl, along with any two or more of the following symptoms -like cool surroundings, sweetness in mouth, burning/ numbness in Palm and soles and aunts noted in the toilet.
Differential diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus?
- Obesity ( Sthaulya)
- Polyuria (mutratisara)
Treatment modalities of Diabetes Mellitus?
Simple Ayurvedic Remedies:
- Take 20 ml decoction of Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium).
- Take 20 ml of bitter gourd (Karela) juice daily.
- Take 20 ml juice of Aegle marmelos (leaves)
- Take one teaspoon of powder of of fenugreek seeds twice a day with water.
- Chew 10-12 carry Neem (Curry) leaves on an empty stomach in the morning.
Treatment for pre-diabetic or early- diabetic-
Asana, Ekanayaka and Triphala together in aquous decoction (1:4) daily.
Other Ayurvedic Medicines:
- Vasant Kumar Rasa with honey
- Shiva gutika with honey
- Asanadi Quath with water
- Chandra Prabha vati with 2ml honey
- Tab- Diarid
Herbs having property to control diabetes-
Daaru haridra ( Berberis aristata)- Action: Hypolipidemic and Insulin resistance.
Amlaki ( Phyllanthus indiaca) Action– Beta- cell protective and Beta- cell regenerative.
Haridra ( Curcuma longa)- Action– Hypolipidemic and Beta- cell protective.
Gudamara ( Gymnema sylvestre) ) –Action– Insulin secretogogous.
Banaba ( Lygerstroemia speciosa) Action-Insulin secretogogous.
Precautions while treating a diabetic patient on modern medicines-
- No abrupt stopping of modern medicines.
- Gradual reduction of doses of allopathic medicine depending on blood sugar level.
- Not other drug interaction occur between allopathic and ayurvedic medicines
- Moto in chronic cases is to maintain blood sugar ( PP<180, FBS< 130% by hook or crook)
(Sourse: Dr. R Shripathi Ayurvedline)
Role of modern consultant in ayurvedic management of madhumeh?
1. Acute metabolic complications such as DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic coma.
2. Stressful situation such as major septic burn and major trauma preoperative.
How to manage complications of diabetes mellitus?
Triphala guggulu, Savarna malini bhasma, Aldorin cap.
Punarnnava powder, guduchi, chandraprabha in saptaparna quath.
Neuropathy and Impotence-
Vanga bhasma, vasant kumar rasa.
Diabetic wound and Pidaka-
Asanadi decoction, Kaishore G and gandhakm rasayan, svarna malini vasantha.
Methi and dalchini, Ayogyavardhani
(Do not start self-medication. Consult your doctor first before taking these drugs)
Food and Regimen?
- Old basmati rice
- Laxatives daily
- Horse gram, green gram, masuri dal
- Pungent, bitter and astringent prepations (vegetables)
- Cow’s milk, butter milk from cow’s milk
- Leafy vegetables
These are useful in Obesity as well as in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Thinking too much
- Awakening at night
- Rough massaging
- Exposing to sun light
- Aptaparna treatment opposite to Roborant Therepy
Doe’s and Don’t?
- Avoid direct sweets, jaggery, cane sugar, oily food, potato, sleeping at day time as it increases kledaka kapha.
- Take whole wheat roti, raagi roti, green tea, wheat grass juice ( 20-30ml) each day, brown rice
- Avoid alcohol and smoking ( or nicotine indulgence in any food)
- Walk briskly atleast one hours every day
- Swimming for half an hour
Yoga And Meditation-
Practicing Yoga and Meditations daily, produces neuro-hormonal changes and tranquility in the body.
Other Preventive meassures for Madhumeh?
- Avoiding the sweet, sour, salt, oily and cold foods
- Avoiding sedentary and luxurious lifestyle
- Regular practice of powder massage
- Bio-purification once in a year
- Use of barley and whole wheat
- Regular yoga and exercice
Written by: Dr. Ranjeet Singh
>Madhumeh treatment protocol by AYUSH.
>A guide to Ayurvedic clinical practice by: Dr Vasant Patil, Chap- 11 metabolic disorder, pub-chaukhamba Publication, edition -2017 pg no- 299-302.
>Good health through food and regimen by: Dr T.L. Devaraj, pub- chaukhambha orientalia, edition 2018 ,chap- 13 ,-pg no- 48 49.
>Ayurvedic home remedies by: Dr Pratap Chauhan, pub- Jiva Ayurveda edition -2018 chap- madhumeh, pg no-. 57- 59
>Ayurvedline, Ayurvedic drug index part-01 Ayurvedic management of diabetes mellitus, pg no- 287 -300.