Poly Cystic ovarian syndrome or disease was earlier known as Stein- Leventhal syndrome. Polycystic ovary syndrome is a most common condition of reproductive age, in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This results in adverse effect on multiple organ systems and may results in the serum lipid, anovulation, abnormal uterine bleeding, cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant and other health changes. PSOS affecting 6 to 10% of women in reproductive age group. It is poorly understood and managed problem. The understanding of the pathophysiology of this syndrome has undergone dramatic changes even since it was first described by Stein and leventhal in 1935.
According to Ayurveda concept, PCOS can be correlated with Artava Kshaya. Currently, a great emphasis is being laid on insulin resistance in patients of PCOD. Insulin resistance causes hyperinsulinaemia, which further is an chronic hyper androgenic state particularly testosterone and androsterone and by decreasing the sex hormone globulin concentration. The high level of androgenic hormones interfere with the pituitary ovarian axis leading to increased LH levels, anovulation, amenorrhoea, menstrual irregularities and infertility.
What are the causes of PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is linked to changes in the level of certain hormones:
1.Oestrogen and progesterone ( these are main female hormones that help a woman’s ovaries to release eggs)
2.Androgen (a male hormone present in small amount in women)
In PCOS, mature eggs are not released from the ovaries, instead they can form a very small cyst in the ovary ultimately these changes can contribute to infertility.
Ayurvedic Samprapti of PCOD?
Guilt> fear> not following Sadavrita> blockage in Manovaha- srotas> Mental ama> lazy> dullness of mind> frustration> hormonal imbalance> PCOD.
Fertility problems experienced by women with PCOS?
It may be related to the elevated hormone insulin or glucose levels all of which can interfere with implantation as well as development of embryo. Increased LH hormone reduces the changes of conception and increase miscarriage. Additionally, abnormal insulin level may also contribute to poor egg quality making conception more difficult.
What are the symtoms of PCOS?
- Amenorrhoea or frequent menstruation
- Irregular bleeding
- Infrequent or no ovulation
- Multiple immature follicles
- Increased level of male hormones
- Male pattern baldness or thickening of hair
- Excess facial and body hair growth
- Acne that gets worsen
- Oily skin or dandruff
- Dark coloured patches of skin especially on neck, underarms, groin and breast
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Increased weight or obesity
- Type 2 diabetes
- Lipid abnormality and high blood pressure
- Enalargement of clitoris
Estrogen, LH, FSH, Blood sugar, Lipid profile and Pelvic Ultrasonography (USG).
Criteria for diagnosis?
- Ultrasound showing necklance appearance of ovaries
- Ovary enlarged with multiple cyst
- Oligomenorrhea or anovulation
- High level of free estrogen in serum
- Elevated LH
- Clinical or bio-chemical evidence of hyperandrogenism
- LH:FSH ratio> 3
Management of PCOS through Ayurveda?
It is not difficult to treat Polycystic ovarian syndrome with Ayurveda medicines. A large number of herbal medicines are well documented in standard Indian Ayuvedic text for the use in such condition. Your doctor should list the associated symptoms with PCOS patients and give an Ayurvedic prescription accordingly. Patients who followed drug, weight loss treatment, specially diet, exercise and Lifestyle modifications revealed more improvement as compared to those who do not, thus substaining that weight reduction plays a significant role in restoration of ovulation in obese women with PCOS.
Panchakarma for PCOS management?
- Vamana– Vamana helps in balancing hormones, boosts fertility and helps weight loss.
- Virechana- Virechana is extremely effective in obesity, irregular or heavy menstruation, hormonal imbalance, skin pigmentation and the multitude of other symptoms triggered by PCOS.
- Basti- it is the most effective Panchakarma therapy in PCOS patients for boosting fertility and ensuring healthy conception.
- Udvartana- it involves rigorous dry powder massage to the entire body, by enhancing circulation of blood and lymph, udvartana helps to detoxify skin.
Ayurvedic drugs for PCOS treatment?
- Hingu triguna oil orally
- Chandraprabha vati
- Gomutra haritaki
- Shatavari leha
- Pushyanug powder
- NIDD forte
Ingredients of NIDD forte?
1.Asana (Procarpus marsupium)
Action- Its a good source of a flavonoid epicatechine stimulating D-Chiro-inositol action that helpd to improve the post receptor insulin action.
2.Meshashringi (Gymmnema sylvestre)
Action-It reduces intestinal absorption of glucose.
3.Karavellaka (Momordica charantia)
Action-An effective hypoglycemic agent.
4.Jambu (Eugenia jambolena)
Action-Hypoglycemic, lowers serum lipid levels specially tryglycerides and decrese hepatic production of glucose.
5.Nimbha (Azardiracha indiaca) & Guduchi (Tinospora)
Action- Provided anti-oxident action.
6. Methi (Trigonella foenumgraceum)
Ation-Reduces blood glucose level.
7.Haridra (Curcuma longa)
Action-inhibition of lipid peraoxidetica and its extract showed blood glucose lowering activity.
(source-Ayurvedline-Ayurvedic drug index)
(Do not start self-medication. Consult your Ayurveda doctor first before taking these drugs)
Recommended diet and lifestyle?
- Do regular exercise
- Low calorie diet
- In obese patients- vigorous exercise, asana, pranayam
- Avoid high calorie ,carbohydrate, fat rich diet
- Avoid bakery items and fast food.
Written by: Dr. Ranjeet Singh
Revised & Assisted by: Dr. Kavita Sharma