Author: Dr Ranjeet Singh
Rasayana or Jara chikitsa (geriatrics) is one among the eight major clinical disciplines of Ashtanga Ayurveda practiced extensively and effectively since ages; through chiefly concerned with preventing premature ageing by improving the health status and also as a curative purpose. There are no direct references observed in Vedic literatures, still a number of references related to rasayana are available such as turning old object to young, delaying the ageing process, prolonging the life span and increasing the strength of the individual etc.
What is the aim of Rasayana?
The rasayana therapy enhances the qualities of Rasa, enriches it with nutrients. With such enriched excellent rasa, one attains longevity, memory, intelligence, freedom from disorders, youthfulness and excellence of luster, complexion and voice, optimum development of physique and sense organs, mastery over phonetics, respectability and brilliance.
Types of Rasayana
- Types of rasayana preparations which can be consumed according to the needs.
Kamya rasayans are promoters of normal health. These boost body energy levels, immunity and general health.
These rasayanas are:
- Pranakamya- Promoter of vitality and longevity
- Medhakamya- Promoter of intelligence
- Srikamya- Promoter of complexion
Naimittik rasayanas help to fight a specific disease.
2. Types of Rasayanas on the basics of place of Therapy
Kuti Praveshika Rasayana- Indoor rasayana therapy.
Vatatapika Rasayana- Out door rasayana therapy.
3. Types of rasayanas on the basis of diet and lifestyles
- Drug based rasayana ( Aushadha rasayana)
- Ahara rasayana ( Dietary rasayana)
- Achara rasayana (life style based rasayana)
Benefits of Rasayana?
The main purpose of rasayana therapy is to retard the aging process and to delay the degenerative process in the body.
- It enhances the intelligence, memory, body strength, luster of the skin, and modulation of voice.
- It nourishes the blood, lymph, muscles, tissues, semen, and thus prevents chronic degenerative disorders like arthritis.
- Imports metabolic process and quality of body tissues and eradicates diseases of old age.
- Helps to attain optimal physical strength and sharpness of sense organs.
- Rasayana has marked action on reproductive organs and also nurses shukra dhatu (semen).
- Rasayana nourishes the whole body and improves immune system and hence the natural resistance to infections will be more.
- Excellent for higher mental functions and disorders like stress.
Single Rasayana Drugs in Ayurveda
- Brahmi ( Bacopa monnieri)
- Ashwagandha ( Withania somnifera)
- Guduchi ( Tinospora cordifolia)
- Amalaki ( Emblica officinalis)
- Triphala rasayana
- Brahmi rasayana
- Amalaki rasayana