(Dr. Ranjeet Singh)
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
Common signs of infection?
Respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread ?
- Regular hand washing
- Covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing
- Thoroughly cooking meat and eggs
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
What Ayurveda can do to fight againts COVID-19?
Amid all the gloom spread across the world due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which has now infected more than one lakh people and killed nearly 3,500 individuals around the world, everyone is focusing on preventive measures, at least until an effective cure is found.
As the number of Covid-19 cases rises in India, consumers are increasingly turning to ayurvedic medicines and products in the hopes of boosting their immunity.
Even though the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa and Homoeopathy (Ayush) has issued an advisory recommending possible ayurvedic treatments, allopathic doctors say these products are not proven to cure an infection from the virus and can, at best, improve immunity.
“The holistic approach of the AYUSH systems of medicine helps focus on prevention, and this is key to managing the coronavirus outbreak,” said Himalaya’s Haydon. “Ayurveda emphasises on the avoidance of causative factors and enhancing the immunity against a host of infections.”
As per the Ayurverdic Practices the following Preventive Management Steps are suggested.
• Maintain personal hygiene.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available.
• Drink Shadang Paniya (Musta, Parpat, Usheer, Chandan,Udeechya & Nagar) processed water (10 gm powder boiled in 1-liter water, until it reduces to half). Store it in a bottle and drink it when thirsty.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your face during cough or sneeze and wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
• Preferably, use an N95 mask while traveling or working in public places to avoid droplet transmission
• If you suspect Corona Viral infection, wear a mask and contact your nearest hospital immediately.
Prophylactic Measures/Immunomodulatory drugs as per the Ayurvedic practices.
• Measures shall be taken to strengthen the immune system through a healthy diet and lifestyle practices.
• Agastya Harityaki 5 gm, twice a day with warm water.
• Samshamani Vati 500 mg twice a day.
• Trikatu(Pippali, Marich & Shunthi) powder 5 gm and Tulasi 3-5 leaves (boiled in 1-litre water, until it reduces to ½ liter and keeps it in a bottle) keep taking it in sips as and when required.
• Pratimarsa Nasya: Instill two drops of Anu taila/Sesame oil in each nostril daily in the morning.
Herbs to improve Immunity?
Immunity, is the ability of our body to fight with the disease causing organisms. It is the balanced state of multicellular organisms having adequate defences to fight with infection and disease. In Ayurveda term immunity can be compared with “Ojas,” this ojas is the end product of complete digestion which is responsible for creating good health, stable emotions and immunity. In the Ayurvedic science ojas has everything to do with immunity. It is said that the strength of one’s ojas determines which factors cause disease in each individual.
Here are some herbs given below can strengthen your immune system naturally:–
>Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): It balances the stress, adaptogenic in nature, antioxident potential. These benefits, in turn, have a way of supporting our immune system.
>Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): In many studies it is found that giloy is a powderful anti-oxidant, keeps our cell healthy. Amrita(sanskrit name of giloy) remove toxins, purifies blood and fight with harmful forgien bodies.
>Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus): It is a hormone regulator and balances all three doshas.
>Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia): It relieves the pain and anti-inflammatory in nature.
>Triphala (Haritaki, Amlaki, Vibhitaki): It maintains the equilibrium of tri-doshas.
>Amla (Phyllanthus emblica): It is the greatest anti-oxidant and great source of Vitamin-C.
>Holy Basil or Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum): It is a potent anti-viral and immuno-modulator.
>Turmeric (Curcuma longa): It works as anti-tumor and alkalizes the body.